The Empire of Light
Those creatures of Elantor who possess Athel or in the common speech, “The Spark” are known as the Athelren. They are thought to be all of one species, as the esoteric scholars of living things call it. More crudely put, they will interbreed. Though there is enormous variation in size, appearance and lifespan, this is likened to the differences that appear in breeds of horses or dogs, though many Luzren and others of the upper crusts of society find it distasteful to mention such an analogy, and in fact find it distasteful to mention a commonality with the “other peoples”.
A list of peoples, which is by no means complete follows:
- Luzren or Elves, the ruling race of the Empire. They speak Luzwen
- Nordren or Dwarves, the language spoken by them being Nordwen or Dwarvish,
- Hanren, the Average Folk [which players might know as “human”]. The Common speech is known as Hanwen. [And it is equivalent to English, with a smattering of vocabulary from other languages.] Humans think of themselves as “normal”, but some people think of them as “mongrel” and unmanageably impure.
- Falunren or Half Elves. These are thought by some to simply be Luzwen who simply couldn’t keep up, or their offspring, and by others to be the product of Hanren or other peoples who “forgot where they came from”. The Falunren have no speech of their own.
- Wiren or Halflings. Halflings do not have their own language, speaking mainly Hanwen.
- Gnoren or Gnomes. The language spoken by them is Gnowen.
- Oren or Orcs. They speak Owen.
- Fa-oren or Half-Orcs. They speak either Owen or Hanwen.
- Pitiren or Goblins. They have their own language – Pitiwen